Thursday, February 8, 2007

Do you wish your restaurant made more money?

Ok, so that's a pretty obvious question. Of course you do. But, how? If you've read my profile, you know that I taught at the California Culinary Academy for almost five years. Most of that time I taught a class in Kitchen and Purchasing Math. It focused on food cost calculations, portioning math, and many other foodservice related formulas.

The thing I found most surprising was when I would speak to a former student about how their job was going at a particular restaurant, they would often say, "they dont use any of those formulas you taught us, the Chef just guesses at the amounts to order." They would tell me that new dishes were put on the menu without a complete food cost analysis first. They would tell me how there were no controls regarding postioning. Some Chefs, I was told didn't even know how to use an Excel spreadsheet to help with all this basic kitchen math!

Thankfully, any establishements that hired my students at least had one employee that knew how to breakdown these crucial numbers to find more profit.

So, I would say the simplest and fastest way to make more money is to improve your basic kitchen math and purchasing methods. I can help you do this. I have many spreadsheets and calculators already built and ready to punch in your numbers to see if we can improve things.

If you are located in the SF/Bay Area, I can consult in person. If not, this can also be done via the website. For a free consultation,
send me an email and we'll set up a meeting.

Link With Us - Web Directory
Chefs Blogs

No comments: